Influencer marketing is growing rapidly, but it is still an evolving ecosystem. There is no doubt that it’s likely to grow by leaps and bounds, but the current landscape is one that is constantly being worked and innovated around. Every business wants to jump onto the bandwagon, and marketers are constantly thinking of new ways to gain more business through influencers.
In the past, major brands have elected popular social media influencers as their brand ambassadors. From actors and television personalities to sportspersons and stand-up comedians – almost everyone has been snagged by some company or the other. Even popular YouTube streamers haven’t been spared! There are countless influencers today who have partnered with businesses towards the mutual benefit of both parties.
The brands are gaining widespread recognition thanks to the influencers while the influencers, in turn, are being compensated by the brands one way or the other. Amidst all this, consumers are benefiting from the expert advice provided by their favourite influencers. In the end, it’s a win-win situation for all involved.
Following in the trail of innovations made by other social media platforms, now Instagram also gives marketers a unique way of taking influencer marketing into the next level – ‘Branded Content Ads’.
What are Branded Content Ads on Instagram?
On 4th June 2019, Instagram made a major announcement – a new advertising format known as branded content ads. According to Instagram, these ads enable marketers to organically promote branded posts created by influencers as advertisements.
Brands can promote their influencers’ posts as Instagram ads through the Facebook Ads Manager. With this unique feature, organic posts created by influencers will show up as ads on users’ Instagram feeds and stories.
These branded content ads work similarly to Instagram sponsored posts. They seek to maximize the reach of influencers and businesses, help them target specific audience segments and track their performance in a more efficient manner using various tools.
Running Your Own Ads on Instagram
The success of any social media platform depends a lot on how user-friendly it is. If you take a closer look at all the popular social media platforms today, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and the like, you’ll realize how easy to use these platforms are.
Instagram is also a very easy platform to use, which is one of the reasons why it is loved by so many. Like posting normally on Instagram, running branded Instagram ads is also a fairly easy process.
According to Instagram, there are only two major steps involved in running branded content ads:
- Step 1: Influencers need to request permission from brands before tagging them in a post. Once permission has been granted, influencers can enable the brand to promote their posts as Instagram ads. This can be done easily through the ‘Advanced Settings’ option on Instagram.
- Step 2: After an influencer has allowed their post to be used as an ad, the respective brand can access it via the Ads Manager and choose to promote it on the Instagram feed or as a story.
How Can Influencers Start Creating Branded Content Ads?
If you are an influencer, who has been approved by a business to associate their name with yours, its time you permitted them to promote your posts as Instagram influencer ads too. There are two options available to you:
Option 1: Create a New Branded Content Post
Here’s how to create a new branded content post on Instagram:
- On Instagram, select a photo, video or carousel and add the caption, filters and effects that you want.
- Now, before posting it, go to the ‘Advanced Settings’ option and click or tap on ‘Tag Business Partner’.
- Search for the business you want to associate with. Ensure that you select the correct business or brand.
- After selecting your business partner successfully, return to ‘Advanced Settings’ and toggle on the ‘Allow Business Partner to Promote’ switch.
- Once the business partner has been tagged and given permission to promote, go ahead and publish the post.
That’s it. You’ve just created a new branded content post on Instagram.
Option 2: Add a Branded Content Tag to Your Existing Post
If you want a business to promote an existing post of yours as branded content, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the respective post, access its settings located at the top-right and select the ‘Edit’ option from the available menu.
- Now, tap on ‘Add Partner’ to tag the respective business account in your post.
- The next step is to add the branded content tag in the selected post. To do this, tap on ‘Tag Business Partner’, search for your business and select it. Make sure that you search and tag the correct business or brand that you want to partner with.
- In the final step, return to the ‘Advanced Settings’ page. Now, toggle the ‘Allow Business Partner to Promote’ switch on. Doing so will give your business partner the access required to promote your existing post as branded content.
By following the aforementioned steps, you can easily add a branded content tag on any of your existing posts.
How to Create Your First Branded Content Ad?
If you’re a business who’s just been given permission by an influencer to promote his/her posts as Instagram ads, you now need to create a branded content ad. To do so, follow the given steps:
- Open Facebook Ads Manager and click on the ‘Create’ button.
- From the given options, choose one objective for your branded content ad. The options range from increasing brand awareness to gaining more traffic, with everything else thrown in-between too.
- Keep creating and customizing the as to your liking. Once you reach the ‘Audience’ tab, set your targets as per the given options.
- At the ‘Placements’ tab, select ‘Instagram Feed’.
- Once you reach the ‘Ad’ tab, all branded content posts that you have been given permission for will appear under the ‘Select Post’ tab. This ‘Select Post’ tab can be accessed via the ‘Use Existing Post’ tab. From the available options, select the post that you want to promote as a branded content ad on Instagram and make it live. The moment your ad becomes live, the influencer will also be notified about it.
To track and measure the success of your ad, you can access all the required metrics easily through Instagram Insights. By monitoring metrics such as the demographics, reach, and engagement of branded content ads, you can tweak and improve your influencer marketing efforts as and when required.
The Importance of Branded Content Ads for Business Growth
Every business knows that growing an audience base organically is easier said than done. The organic reach of posts on all social media platforms is quite limited, and maintaining good engagement levels with the audience can also prove to be quite challenging. In such a scenario, branded content ads can be a highly effective way to promote content created by influencers to a specific target audience.
Instagram is a platform where the majority of users follow at least one influencer, if not more. These users view each and every post made by their favourite influencers and often look to them for inspiration, advice and recommendations. With this knowledge at hand, it makes a lot of sense for businesses to create Instagram influencer ads and increase their brand recognition across platforms.
In a Facebook for Business survey of Instagram users, 42% of respondents claimed that branded content helps them discover products and services. Moreover, 41% said that branded content helps them research various products and services.
As you can see, a massive number of Instagram users rely on branded content for their purchasing decisions. This leaves no doubt the branded content ads on Instagram can help businesses expand their reach, drive higher audience engagement levels and maybe even get more conversions.
Ultimately, branded content ads on Instagram allow businesses to reach new audiences simply and effectively. These ads seek to help businesses capitalize even more on the success of their influencer marketing campaigns. Since it is a relatively new and innovative concept not being adopted by influencers as much as it should be, hope the information provided here helps you in any way it can.
Much like the innovation bought about in the influencer marketing landscape by Instagram, Angel Broking is also doing the same for the stock trading industry of India. Amplifiers by Angel Broking is a brand-new platform that allows influencers to delve into the world of stock trading.
This innovative platform brings together influencers from everywhere and empowers them to educate the audience about good investment practices. Influencers can make use of the massive media library and ready-to-use templates provided by Amplifiers to create interesting and informative content for their followers. To keep things even more interesting for influencers, the platform offers them a wide selection of curated offers to choose from.
To know more, please click here.