Home » Blog » How to Get Verified on Twitter?
Twitter is one of the most renowned social media platforms for influencer marketing. One of Twitter’s primary objectives is to help users interact and share opinions. This makes it the perfect platform for influencers who want to connect with their audience and voice out their views about various brands, products and services, amongst countless other things.
So, if you want to become a successful Twitter influencer too, here’s everything you need to know about getting Twitter verified.
Why is Twitter verification important?
The Twitter blue tick that appears on verified accounts basically serves as an authentication badge. It lets people know that your account is credible and serves a public interest, thereby implying to users that it is worth having a look. Only Twitter can provide these verification badges, and any user who tries to use an image of the badge on their profile or background photo is likely to face permanent account suspension.
Any account that is deemed to be of public interest can receive official verification from Twitter. Typically, these include accounts owned and maintained by users in government, politics, religion, media, journalism, business, sports, performing arts and other key areas of public interest.
For influencers, a verified Twitter account is very important because it helps build their credibility with the audience. It shows them that Twitter considers you as a public figure whose opinion matters. Consequently, influencers can use this accreditation to build their reputation among followers and eventually influence their buying habits.
How to get your account Twitter verified?
If you want to become a successful Twitter influencer too, here are step-by-step instructions for obtaining the Twitter verification badge on your profile:
Step 1: Update your profile
To increase your chances of getting Twitter verified, you first need to complete and update your profile. To do this, just click on the ‘Edit Profile’ button on your profile page and fill out the following sections with the correct information:
Profile image and cover photo:Twitter recommends that your profile and cover photos should be an accurate representation of what you or your organization is all about. Relevant and recognizable photos help prove your credibility.
- Name: You should either add your or your organization’s real name here. Besides assisting with verification, this will also help when someone searches for you on Twitter, Google or any other search engines.
- Bio: According to Twitter, your bio must mention your areas of expertise or your company mission. From a verification point of view, you should include your current position and noteworthy accomplishments in the past.
- Location: While not entirely necessary for verification purposes, you can choose to share your location too. For business owners, it can be a good idea to include their store or office address.
- Website: In this section, you should include a website link that helps expose users to your body of work while letting Twitter know why your account should qualify as one that serves the public interest.
- Birth date: As the final section’s title suggests, simply add your birth date here.
And with that, you’ve successfully optimized your profile for Twitter verification. Now, you need to turn your attention to some other necessary details.
Step 2: Verify your phone number and confirm your email address
Once you’ve updated your profile, the next step is to verify and confirm your phone number and email address, respectively. To do this, you need to go to your ‘Settings and Privacy’ options by tapping or clicking on the ‘three-dots’ icon. On the following page, click or tap the ‘Account’ button to add or change the required details.
To get your phone number verified, add it in the relevant section and then complete the simple verification steps that follow. Twitter will lead you through the short process, which can be completed in a couple of minutes or so.
To confirm your email address, simply enter it under the relevant section and complete the confirmation process through the official Twitter email that you receive on the provided email id.
Step 3: Set your tweets to ‘Public’
Since Twitter’s verification process relies on you being counted as a public figure, you need to make your tweets available to the public. To do this, just go to your Twitter settings, click or tap on the ‘Privacy and Safety’ button and ensure that the ‘Protect your tweets’ box is unchecked.
Step 4: Fill out the Twitter verificationform
Finally, fill the Twitter verification form to complete the submission process. On the form, you’ll need to enter your username and mention if your account is a company, brand or organization account by checking the relevant box.
Next, you need to submit at least two website links that help Twitter identify and verify your credentials. You are given the choice of adding up to five links. Choose and add websites that showcase your work and achievements.
Lastly, you will be asked to submit a short description explaining why your account should be verified. The word limit will be 500 characters. Essentially, this section is where you need to pitch your account to Twitter. You should describe why your account should be verified and how it can help people. When you’ve finished writing this information, you can submit the form apply for verification.
Upon submission of your verification request, Twitter will review your profile and decide whether you obtain that coveted Twitter blue tick next to your name or not. If your request doesn’t get accepted the first time around, there is no cause for worry as you can apply for verification again in 30 days.
Tips on getting Twitter verified
To help improve your chances of getting verified, here are a few useful tips and guidelines:
- Be active: Prove to Twitter that you add value to the platform by actively engaging with your audience. Start creating content and sharing tweets with your audience. Respond to social mentions and don’t hesitate to air out your views on trending topics. Be active and build engagement as much as you can. Audience interaction is a great way to increase your brand presence too.
- Connect with other profiles: Another way of establishing your credibility is to connect with other profiles, especially verified ones. You can link verified accounts to your bio if it’s relevant and tag other profiles on your tweets too. Tagging relevant accounts can be a great tool to showcase your connection and expertise towards a given topic.
Create a marketing strategy with your partner brand:Work with your partner brands to outline clear and achievable goals for your Twitter influencer marketing efforts. It’s a good idea to plan a content calendar and curate content according to user needs beforehand. Also, do remember to measure and keep track of audience engagement and overall growth so that you can fine-tune your strategy even further.
Getting Twitter verified is not rocket science if you know how to work your way around things. Remember the information provided here if you want to increase your chances of becoming a prominent Twitter influencer. Follow the aforementioned tips, and you should have no problems receiving the Twitter blue tick.
If you want to collaborate with other Twitter influencers and learn from them, do check out the newly-launched Amplifiers influencer marketing platform. Solely catering to the stock market industry in India, this special platform seeks to educate the Indian populace about good investment practices. To help influencers spread this message, Amplifiers keeps them motivated with curated offers and top resources such as an exhaustive media library. Registration takes only a couple of minutes and can be completed here.