Since its inception back in 2010, Instagram has grown from a simple photo-sharing app to the all-encompassing behemoth that it has become now. When it first appeared, Instagram was primarily seen as an app where users could share low-quality photos with over-the-top, dramatic filters. Today, it’s an app where you can find personal photos, professional photos, videos, stories, news, reviews, celebrity gossip, business branding, and a whole lot more.
Of late, the ‘Swipe Up’ feature on Instagram has opened up a lot of exciting new opportunities for influencers and businesses alike. So, here’s everything you need to know about getting the swipe up feature without having 10k followers, and how to use it effectively.
What is the Instagram swipe up feature?
Essentially, the ‘Swipe Up’ feature on Instagram lets you include external links on your stories. If users click on any provided link or swipe up on the respective story, they are redirected to the chosen link at once. This feature is a great way for influencers and brands to maximize their presence on Instagram, drive traffic, increase audience engagement and generate more sales.
Businesses can promote their products and services by redirecting users to landing pages, sign-up forms, discounts and offers, and other marketing gimmicks that drive conversions:
The only prerequisites for using this great feature are:
- The account should be an Instagram Business Profile account
- The account must have over 10k followers
How to get the Instagram swipe up without 10k followers?
While it’s easy for celebrities and popular social media influencers to get thousands and millions of followers, the same doesn’t hold true for everyone. In case you don’t have 10k followers but would still like to use the swipe up feature, here are three useful hacks that can help you:
Use IGTV: You can leverage IGTV to direct your followers to any other webpage of your choice. IGTV, Instagram’s very own video sharing platform, might not be as popular as YoutTube but it does allow you to add any link to an uploaded video. If you’ve ever wondered ‘How to add a link to an Instagram story?’, here’s how to go about it:
- Step 1: Record a video ranging from 60 seconds to 15 minutes if you want to upload it from your phone’s app or up to 60 minutes if you want to upload directly from Instagram’s website. In the video, explain what you are promoting and how it can help your followers. It’s highly advisable to add some sort of ‘call to action (CTA)’ on the video too.
- Step 2: Once you’ve recorded the video, click on the IGTV icon on your Instagram profile and upload it. You can add an external link to the video’s description and also choose a thumbnail for it. Once this is done, hit the ‘Post’ button and the video will appear on your IGTV library.
- Step 3: Now, you need to link this video to your stories. To do this, simply create a story by clicking a picture or video or choosing an existing upload. A very good idea here would be to record a short video encouraging people to swipe up and gain access to what you’re offering. Once a story has been chosen and finalized, click on the link symbol at the top of your screen. From the available choices, click ‘IGTV’ and just select the video you wanted to link and Voila! Your work is done. This is the easiest and most effective way to add a link on an Instagram story.
Make use of paid story ads:If you have a good budget to spare but are still asking yourself, ‘How to put a link on an Instagram story?’, this option is the best one for you. Paid story ads on Instagram allow you to get a swipe up option irrespective of how many followers you have. Just remember that these paid ads only allow you to promote your stories for a maximum of 15 seconds. So, use a strong CTA to entice and encourage people to swipe up on your story instead of swiping to the next one. To promote a story through paid story ads, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Create a new story or choose an existing one. To promote it as a paid ad, click on the three visible dots under the story and then click on the ‘Promote’ button.
- Step 2: Fill in the necessary details for your promotion, such as the budget and target audience. Once you’re satisfied with all the inputted information, click on the ‘Next button’. On the following page, click on ‘Promote’ to finalize your promotion.
- Add shopping stickers where possible: Entrepreneurs and businesses can use Instagram shopping stickers to sell products to users via their stories. All you need to do is upload a story, select one of Instagram’s available ‘product stickers’, customize it with relevant details and publish it on your feed finally. Once published, any user can tap the sticker to know more about your products and purchase them if need be.
Instagram stories are getting more and more popular by the day with recent studies indicating that 79% of users first check their stories upon launching the app. There remains little doubt that these stories are a great marketing tool for influencers, entrepreneurs and brands. So, now that you’ve learnt to add a link to an Instagram story and give followers the option to swipe up, you should leverage this unique feature and use it to your advantage whenever possible.
Amplifiers is a collaborative influencer marketing platform that aims to educate the Indian masses about stock trading options in India. This unique platform provides loads of useful resources to help social media influencers and brands work together in creating fun, engaging and informative content for their followers. To know more, please click here.